Thursday, April 2, 2009

Childbirth class #1

So, last night was our first childbirth class last night. I don't know what I was expecting but it was interesting to say the least. We learned about the other people in the class (two of which brought their mothers). We learned different stuff about pregnancy- staying healthy, signs of false labor, signs of pre-term labor, signs of labor. The different stages of labor and this included- you guessed it a video! I was okay until they showed a crowning shot- then dang! I told Robby that he had permission to not watch the video which he did not. He stated that he was watching the back of my head the entire time. Well, at least I did my hair.
Poor thing, he was pretty much beet red the entire time. He was really uncomfortable, which part of me feels bad but part of me thinks it is hilarious. He did state that his part of the process is over and that he would do it all over again (see blatant plagarism of Jim Gaffigan). He did not say this during class- that would be hilarious. About the only thing that he did volunteer was that I drink about 15 glasses of water a day. He kept poking me during class whenever he was uncomfortable and I asked him if he was poking me whenever he was uncomfortable and he replied that it was just when he was feeling especially awkward- if he did it when he was uncomfortable it would be nonstop.
Well he will survive- I have no idea what else they will cover in the classes because she covered a lot on the first day- I want to know more though- especially about pain management, I don't want to be a hero but the idea of an epidural does not make me happy- something about them messing around near my spinal column that makes me nervous. However, I don't know, we have not covered that in class yet. I should have taken better notes, I could get them out I suppose but that would be work- blargh!
On a good note I finished a puzzle the other day- it was this weird chocolate puzzle about a murder. So now whenever I walk by the table I want chocolate. But then again I almost always want chocolate. Chocolate, swiss cheese, bread, turkey sandwiches, pizza, pretzels, nacho cheese, frozen yogurt, a BMP omelette, dude- I already had dinner so I have no excuse to be hungry- other than the little one.
Oh- we were the only ones in the class not to have a name- or at least not to release our name- there were 11 couples and two of them are naming their little girls Katie. Only it is probably spelled all weird like Caytee or Kaetie. Bugs. Although Robby and I had a disagreement the other night because he thought the baby's name was spelled one way and I said no it is spelled this way- I was right by the way.
Other interesting fact- if I wanted to get a hysterectomy (I don't) it would cost about 1300 dollars, if my husband was to be sterlized- it would be $138. Now, I know that it is very different procedures- but when I told Robby this- his response was- "Well, I guess we will just have a lot of kids then." I realize that is a very personal thing to post- but I really don't want to get a hysterectomy. Especially since it was described as "More painful that giving birth." Gee, where do I sign up? You mean I get to go through whole sometimes painful experience of pregnancy- then birth and THEN another surgery? I guess it is a moot point since we are not done having kids.
Maybe I should move on to happier subjects- puppies, cheesecake, baby shower on Saturday! That is a better note to end it on.

2 comments:

  1. Turkey and swiss cheese sandwich!!!! YUMMMMMMM

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I got carried away thinking about the sandwich.

    I probably would have poked him in the eye if he kept poking me, but I'm mean like that. I remember watching a birth video in 8th grade for goodness sake. Actually it was the whole process FROM THE INSIDE - just wanted to clarify that.
    And 1300 versus 138? Good grief!

    ReplyDelete